Lean Green Soup
Bonberi.com’s Vanessa Packer and Nicole Berrie’s
take on a wintertime staple.
You can order it as a lunch special at any deli, diner, or dive, but when bonberi.com founders Vanessa Packer and Nicole Berrie share their take on soup, the quality bar (and nutritional value) goes way up. Here, the digital health and wellness gurus provide a delicious late winter meal suggestion that tastes as good as it looks.
Lean Green Soup(Serves 4-6)
4 celery stalks, chopped
4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
2 yellow onions, peeled and sliced in half
1 bay leaf
1 bunch fresh dill
1 bunch fresh parsley
1 teaspoon sea salt
8 whole peppercorns
8 cups of water
Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 minutes. Drain into a separate stockpot. Discard vegetables.
1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
2 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into
1 green zucchini, chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 cups of kale, sliced in thin ribbons
1 cup of broccoli florets, chopped into
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Sea salt, to taste
1 teaspoon of cold-pressed extra virgin organic
Toasted pumpkin seeds
Freshly shaved black truffle (truffle salt will work too)
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, add chopped zucchini, potatoes and onion. Add 6 cups of broth or enough liquid to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Add sliced kale and broccoli and continue to simmer until they turn bright green. Immediately turn off heat.
- In batches, purée the soup in a high-powered blender.
- Add lemon zest and juice. Season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Ladle soup into soup bowls and garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds, freshly shaved black truffle and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.