1 Face, 3 Trends
Estée Lauder’s UK-based Makeup Ambassador, Lynsey Alexander,
celebrates the official start of summer with three gorgeous
What takes you from a tiny, horse-riding country town in Scotland to the bright lights of Fashion Weeks and behind the scenes on high-profile shoots? Makeup, that’s what. And so was the journey for makeup artist and Estée Lauder Makeup Ambassador, Lynsey Alexander. “I always had a love of fashion, but I knew I didn’t want to be a fashion designer—for me, makeup was the perfect way to be creative and combine fashion and art,” she explains.
A signature “Lynsey look” is easy to spot: natural skin, minimal eye makeup and a bright pop of color on the lips. “My aesthetic [is] just about being real and making someone look and feel the best that they can by bringing out their features and enhancing everything with skincare,” she says. “I like to think of my approach as a nurturing way of doing makeup.”
This philosophy is something she champions devotedly, both professionally and personally. (Lynsey herself is seldom seen without gleaming skin and a bright pop of lipstick.) But that same approach was all over the runways for Spring/Summer ’16, in the form of beautiful, real skin, a sprinkling of faux freckles and a mouth-watering accent of neon on the lips.
Lynsey’s advice for making these summer looks work? It’s basic instinct: “This type of makeup is instinctual. If it wears you, then it’s wrong. It has to go on and you love it immediately.”
Watch Lynsey’s video on how to create the trends above, and follow her beautiful—and easy!—step-by-step guide to each look below.
It’s just about being real.
1. Barely There
- Massage Revitalizing Supreme Global Anti-Aging Creme into skin to plump up and promote circulation for a hydrated, radiant look.
- Lynsey swears by Double Wear Stay-in-Place High Cover Concealer SPF35, applying it only where needed to cover imperfections and create a naturally even base. Buff it into skin using a fluffy eyeshadow brush for flawless coverage.
- Apply Double Wear Brush-On Glow BB Highlighter straight from the actual applicator, dotting it down the different areas of the face where light would hit (under eyes, cheekbones, nose, brow bone).
2. Spot On
- Use Double Wear Stay-in-Place Brow Lift Duo pencil to add in the freckles, opting for the same color as you would on your natural eyebrows.
- Soften the penciled-in freckles with your fingertip. This gives the illusion you have no makeup on.
- Set with powder to finish.
This type of makeup is instinctual.
3. Neon Signs
- To begin, make sure lips are smooth and hydrated. Apply a lip balm first thing, before you apply any skincare or makeup, and let it sink in.
- Line lips with Double Wear Stay-In-Place Lip Pencil in Clear to help seal lipstick in place and stop it from feathering.
- Use a flat lip brush to apply your neon color (here Lynsey uses Pure Color Envy Sculpting Lipstick in Defiant Coral), gliding it from corner to corner of the mouth, with the full length of the brush against your lips.
- Next, layer it with the lipstick straight from the bullet to build up coverage.
- To complete the look, take a very thin layer of Little Black Primer™ and push it into the roots of the lashes for subtle definition.
Shop the Story